oh, red lentils if you knew how much I love you. It’s freezing outside and all I am craving warm cosy bowl of red lentils stew. An amazing iron booster bowl, warm, full of plant-based protein and anti-inflammatory property.
Red lentils sweet and nutty flavour are such an inexpensive way to get a wide range of nutrient: these are full of B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium. They are also a great source of plant-based protein and iron. Lentils are high in fibre, which help with bowel movements and the growth of healthy gut bacteria: it improves your overall gut function.
These red lentils and sweet potatoes stew is such a great good mood bowl, so satisfying, dense in nutrient and just delicious. Easy to make, it is perfect for meal prep. Each time I am making it, it makes my heart and smile go up.
- 250G DRY RED LENTILS
- 3 SWEET POTATOES, PEELED AND DICED
- 2 CARROTS PEELED AND DICED
- 1 thumbnail of ginger, minced
- 1 ONION, DICED
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
- 1 TBP COCONUT OIL
- 1 TSP CUMIN
- 1/2 TSP TURMERIC
- 1/2 TSP CUMIN SEED
- 1/2 TSO CINNAMON
- SALT, PEPPER
- 1 CAN (400ML) COCONUT MILK
- 500ML VEGGIE BROTH
- FRESH CORIANDER & COCONUT YOGURT
- Im a deep saucepan, heat some olive oil and saute the onion until they get translucent. Then add ginger and garlic. Keep cooking.
- Add all the spices and mix very well
- At medium heat, add the dry red lentils and mix very well for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Add the broth. Bring to a boil. then gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk. keep cooking until the sweet potatoes and red lentils are fully cooked (around 40 minutes low temperature in total)
- Once it is cooked, transfer the mixture in a blend. Just pulse few times to keep a nice texture. Let it cool down and enjoy.